today is Wednesday, and a NEW episode of Create To Remeber premiered, as my very first TWOpart series... so prepare yourself for the '...to be continuted!'
firstly... huge thanks to Octotber Afternoon for this fab paper... it comes in a totally awesome 8"x8" pad, that was just so perfect for this project... i also used their coordinating stickers and chipboard.. but i also used the Daily Junque Typewriter stamp, and the mistables scallop ribbon. The alpha stickers are from Cosmo Cricket, and the buttons are Crate Paper.
there are 2 parts to this project...
1. the magnetic closure:
2. creating the inside pages...
Today's episode focuses specifically on the magnetic opening... you can CLICK HERE to watch the video on www.mycraftchannel.
so... let me just break it down for you, what you will need:
1 8x8 pc of chipboard- i used black, but you can use whatever you can come up with- this will be the BACK of your book, and it will be covered up.
2 pc of Bazzill Cardstock, for this book, i used 1 black and 1 celery colored (the video i used black and red).
8x8 papers- you can use an 8" paper pack, or simply trim your pages to 8x8. (8" is an awesome hybrid size, cause you can print your papers! i love that) -- this is where i used October Afternoon Boarding Pass
a good strong adhesive-- i like the Bazzill Marathon Runner
4 business card magnets
1. starting with the left flap, cut the black cardstock to 8x12". measure 8" from right, and score 1/2" for the spine. adhere the 8x8 chipboard backer to the black cardstock, and line it up with the score line.
2. the right side flap (in the video) it's red. again cut to 8x12, and measure 6" from right, and score 1/2" for the spine. adhere on the opposite side of the chipboard piece, lining it up with the score line there as well:
you can see that it's 8" on the black side, and on the 6" side, you need to fold that piece right in 1/2.
3. adhere the business card magnets to the right flap, place them to the top, and bottom next to the fold line, and then fold over to create the flap:
4. i added a piece of 8x8 paper to the back to cover the black and red cardstock:
5. next, we need to add the magnets to the left side, where the flap comes over and lays down on the cover.
it's tricky to see, b/c i used black cardstock --i didn't think that through very well!... but you want the last 2 business cards to line up with those inside the flap.
6. because the magnets create a 1/16" of a space, i didn't want that to show when i covered it with paper - i recommend covering over the magnets w/ paper weight paper, the magnets are not overly strong, so you don't want too many layers in between. to make up for that width, i added a folded piece of cardstock to the left of the magnets:
i have to say... i love it sooo much! -- we will be constructing the inside using a 'hidden biding' technique that you will LOVE next week on Create to Remember!
that... i used the same idea to create the 'observation journal' for my upcoming class at Big Picture Classes... i can never tire of this cool concept! i'll share more about my class, and also about this super cute project, but here is a tiny peek:
as you can see... i couldn't resist using my new papers from the Sugar Chic line to cover this book. i created this one for me:
and my quincy wanted an observation journal as well, so we transformed a mini-composition book into this:
Registration for my NEW 12 week workshop at Big Picture Classes opens tomorrow... and those enrolled will have immediate access to all the instructions and video for these cutie notebooks! This new class will start on April 2nd-- which will be here before we know it! ... ok, but more on that tomorrow! may want to get on the Big Picture mailing list if you aren't already...